What: International Bar Association Annual Conference (IBA)
When: Sunday 18 September – Friday 23 September 2016
Where: Washington Marriott Wardman Park, 2660 Woodley Road NW Washington, DC 20008
Journalists: Free to attend – see details below for press registration
Conference website: www.ibanet.org/Conferences/Washington2016.aspx
Christine Lagarde, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund, will provide the keynote address on Sunday 18 September at the Opening Ceremony* of the IBA Annual Conference – the world’s largest and most prestigious gathering of international lawyers. The six-day event will comprise 200 substantive legal sessions, workshops and panels and is expected to attract around 6,000 delegates representing prominent international law firms, multi-national corporations, governments and regulators from 100 countries.
An exceptional number of leading global speakers, including many current US Cabinet Officers, are set to attend this year’s Conference. The Speaker line-up includes (in order of participation):
• Christine Lagarde, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund
• Ben Bernanke, Past Chairman of the Board of Governors of the US Federal Reserve
• Jeh Johnson, United States Secretary of Homeland Security
• Baroness Helena Kennedy QC, Co-Chair International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute
• Ambassador (ret) Hans Corell, Former Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs and the Legal Counsel for the United Nations
• General Colin L Powell USA (ret), US Secretary of State 2001-2005
• Michael Froman, United States Trade Representative
• Christopher Dodd, Former Senator, Connecticut
• Roberts S Mueller III, Director, Federal Bureau of Investigation 2001-2005
• Loretta Lynch, Attorney General of the US
• Mary Jo White, Chair of the US Securities and Exchange Commission
• Arlene Foster, First Minister, Northern Ireland
• David M Crane, Founding Chief Prosecutor of the Special Court for Sierra Leone (2002-2005)
• Diane Orentlicher , Deputy, Office for War Crimes Issues, US Department of State (2009-2011)
• Ambassador David Scheffer, US Ambassador at Large for War Crimes Issues (1997-2001)
• Michael Scharf, Former Special Assistant to the International Co-Prosecutor, Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (2008)
• Jane Stromseth, Former Director for Multilateral and Humanitarian Affairs at the National Security Council and Deputy, Office for War Crime Issues, US Department of State (2012-2015)
• David Tolbert , Deputy Chief Prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (2004-2008)
• Justice Anthony M Kennedy, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the US
With the Conference taking place in the capital city of the US, during a heightened political atmosphere of electing a new President of the nation, IBA delegates’ Conference experiences will be enriched by morning keynote addresses from sitting officials of the US Administration at 09h30, Monday to Thursday, a first in the history of the IBA Annual Conference. Click here for details.
Showcase sessions will follow the morning keynote addresses. The first is to be held on Monday 19 September from the International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute, entitled: ‘Human Rights in the United States – a letter to the next President from the international legal community’. Baroness Helena Kennedy QC will chair the session.
Special ‘A conversation with…’ events will be held at lunchtimes. General Colin L Powell USA (ret)will be the first on Monday 19 September . Thereafter, afternoons unfold with working sessions that will cover a plethora of international law topics, contentious issues facing the profession, and global issues, including: climate change justice, human trafficking and the links between business, politics and the legal profession.
The IBA Rule of Law Symposium takes place on the concluding day of the Conference, Friday 23 September, with a keynote address by Hon Justice Anthony M Kennedy, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the US. The IBA Human Rights Award will be presented during the Symposium by IBA President, David W Rivkin.
For further information and press registration, email: email@example.com
Romana St. Matthew – Daniel
International Bar Association
4th Floor, 10 St Bride Street, London EC4A 4AD